- I’m thrilled to share my first ever DIY furniture blog and it is about the IKEA Besta TV Unit. I really wanted a server with a gorgeous herringbone pattern that wouldn’t break the bank! After searching endlessly online, I knew that I could only accomplish the look that I wanted on the budget I had by doing it myself. Plus side to this, I get to drag my hubby into one more project! 😉
- IKEA Besta TV Unit
- 2x IKEA Blankett Handle 15″ in Aluminum
- Peel-And-Stick Vinyl Flooring in a wood or stone pattern – you can select whatever color you’d like but here is one similar to the one that I used for this project from Home Depot. You’ll only need one box.
- Rustoleum Gold Rush Metallic Spray Paint
- Utility Knife
- Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Adhesive (optional) – this may be necessary if you’re using a thick, heavy vinyl.
I selected the white color with white doors to make this hack as easy as possible with no need to paint. Phew!
I started by laying out the first piece of vinyl flooring in the herringbone shape. Marked it up, scored it with the utility knife, broke off the excess, then stuck it directly onto the front of the cabinet door. I kept repeating until the entire front was covered in this beautiful herring bone pattern. I recommend starting with one large piece and place it so the tip touches the top center, then work your way down/up from there. I don’t recommend starting with the small corner pieces. It’s much better to work from the center with the largest pieces and to move outward from there. I enjoy playing it by ear when I DIY and just making sure everything looks good as I’m putting it together. It was super simple!
My next step was to spray paint 3 of these IKEA Blankett 15″ cabinet pulls with the gold spray paint and voila! Hubby helped me attach them to the unit and we were done. This was such a simple, yet gorgeous project. I get compliments ALL the time on this piece.
Voila! Here is another photo of the finished piece. You can see I’m just starting to pull out the fall decor. 🙂 My favorite time of year!
Shop This Look
Total Cost: approximately $367+tax
- IKEA Besta TV Unit:$300+tax
- 2x IKEA Blankett Handle 15″ in Aluminum: $16+tax
- Peel-And-Stick Vinyl Flooring in a wood or stone pattern: about $40+tax
- Rustoleum Gold Rush Metallic Spray Paint: about $7+tax
- Utility Knife: already owned
- Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Adhesive (optional): about $4+tax
Now that is what I call a steal. We turned the inside of this unit into a bar area where we can hang our wine glasses, champagne flutes, and store additional bottles of wine. Another post for another day! Leave me a comment if you have any questions.